Call it a tap, or a faucet, these powerful accessories eases the level of functioning of any kitchen. The kitchen faucets are available in different styles and designs depending on the requirements of the user. The choice between the single handle and the double handles of any kitchen faucet will make you think over the entire evolution of these taps. The single handle has one control for both hot and cold water while the double handle of the kitchen faucet gives separate controls for customizing the temperature of the water.
Staying on the single handle kitchen faucets here, there are further multiple choices in them. You can go for the traditional stationary faucets that have the least properties to help you in working. The pull-out single handle kitchen faucets come with sprayers for easy cleaning of dishes, fruits, and vegetables as well.
The pull-down single handle kitchen faucets further channelize the stream of water at one point. Whatever type and design of single handle kitchen faucets you may have chosen, they must function error-free. The most common problem observed in single handle kitchen faucet is their loose operations.
Causes of a Loose Single Handle Kitchen Faucet
There can be several reasons responsible for your unstable single handle kitchen faucet. Some of them are:
- The loose base of the single handle kitchen faucet: The regular use of the single handle kitchen faucet loosen the contact between the spigot’s handle and the base that should be ideally at its center. The loose base of the single handle kitchen faucet further causes water leakages as well.
- Loose screws: The most common reason for a loose single handle kitchen faucet is the loose screw that makes it wobbly. There are a couple of screws in your single handle kitchen faucet that needs to be tight all the time to protect its entire structure.
- Ill-functioning O-ring: The O-ring is used in almost all of the single handle kitchen faucets that keep the handle in the proper position. The loose single handle kitchen faucet can be caused due to ill-functioning O-ring as well.
- Wrong installation: A loose single handle kitchen faucet can be caused due to the improper installation that can be due to the use of wrong tools or design of single handle kitchen faucet.
How to tighten a Single Handle Kitchen Faucet?
The process to tighten a single handle kitchen faucet is easy but is incomplete without the use of correct tools. Let us have a check at the quick list of the tools that are helpful in this process.
The Checklist of tools:
- Adjustable wrench, Basin wrench, and Allen wrench
- Masking tape and Teflon tape
- Mini knife
- Hand gloves
The step by step guide:
- Clearing the area: It is important to clear the sink area for easy working. You can thus create maximum space for your work without any obstacles.
- Plugging the sink’s drain: You may not want to end up blocking your sink’s drain. Hence, it is vital to plug the drain of your sink to prevent the falling of screws, nuts, and other waste from the tightening process.
- Disconnecting the supply of water: You are working with a tap that essentially controls the flow of water. Hence, before starting with the single handle kitchen faucet, disconnect the water supply. You can do it by switching off the valves below the sink or can simply turn off the main supply of water.
- Releasing the pressure: It is always good to be doubly sure and hence all you need to do is open your single handle kitchen faucet to release the pressure in water lines and to eliminate any pending water.
- Remove the water lines: The next step is to remove the water lines under your single handle kitchen faucet with the help of an adjustable wrench but wear those hand gloves before you start. Use the basin wrench to hold the nuts that connect the single handle kitchen faucet to the base.
- Set screw checking: In case the handle of your single handle kitchen faucet is also loose, you have to use the Allen wrench to tight its set screw that is mostly present inside the single handle kitchen faucet, and hence you have to work on feel.
- Checking of single handle kitchen faucet: You can check the progress of your operations by opening the water supply valves and observe your single handle kitchen faucet. All tight body and operations of your single handle kitchen faucet indicate success in your mission.
No need to call a plumber when you observe a loose single handle kitchen faucet as you can tighten it by yourself.